MEASURES ANNOUNCED TO FIGHT LAWLESSNESS

Prime Minister, James Marape yesterday announced comprehensive measures to counter lawlessness in Enga’s Wapenamanda and greater PNG.

PM Marape has addressed the pressing issues of lawlessness raised during yesterday’s parliamentary session.

The debate focused on the urgent need to curb the rising violence and ensure public safety across the nation, following the tragic events in Wapenamenda, Enga, which led to numerous fatalities last Sunday.

Prime Minister Marape assured his fellow leaders: “I assure all fellow leaders that all issues raised on lawlessness in this afternoon’s session of Parliament are noted emphasising the government’s commitment to action.”

He further stated, “The Police Commissioner has been put on notice to ensure we secure our country.”

In a decisive move to tackle the issue, Prime Minister Marape announced a comprehensive plan aimed at reinforcing law enforcement and the judicial system.

The plan will also incorporate all suggestions by MPs yesterday in Parliament:
1. Increase in police presence and enforcement efficiency;
2. Expansion of magistrate numbers and the efficiency of summary offence courts;
3. Appointment of additional judges to enhance judicial efficiency;
4. Enhancement of jail facilities to securely detain law violators;
5. Intensification of intelligence and data collection efforts;
6. Implementation of a population registry;
7. Initiation of a Commission of Inquiry by a serving judge into police force operations;
8. Legal amendments to impose life imprisonment for initiators of tribal conflicts and the arrest of participants; and,
9. All other suggestions raised by MPs in Parliament yesterday (Wednesday).

“These measures represent a firm stance by the government against violence and lawlessness, underscoring a commitment to restore peace and order throughout Papua New Guinea,” Prime Minister Marape said.

━ Related News

Highlands Western Divisional Command unveils strategic plan for 2027 Election

The Highlands Western Division of the Royal Papua New Guinea Constabulary has unveiled a two-phase strategic plan last week. The strategy is aimed at protecting...

Rule of Law prevails: Enga PPC welcomes 50-year sentence for a man over two killings

Enga Provincial Police Commander Chief Superintendent Steven Harris has welcomed a combined 50-year prison sentence handed down to a 22-year-old man for two separate...

NGCB CEO refutes payment allegations on social media

The National Gaming Control Board (NGCB) has rejected allegations of payments and donations involving former Board Trustee Steven Temo. NGCB Chief Executive Officer and Registrar...

Give us Dual Citizenship: We want to give back to our home country

166 foreign nationals in the country last week received their dual and naturalized citizenships, while nearly 30,000 Papua New Guinean-born people living in Australia...

PM Marape welcomes Australian Deputy PM Richard Marles, says PNG-Australia relations at historic high

Prime Minister James Marape has welcomed Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Richard Marles to Papua New Guinea, saying the relationship between the...